Stolen from BuzzFeed.
1. The Twilight series has sold more than the Wheel of Time series, the Dark Tower series, the Song of Fire and Ice series, and the His Dark Materials series COMBINED.
TA: Not to mention how crappy the Twilight films were.
2. Star Wars: Episode I has made more money than Star Wars: Episode IV.
TA: Lucas can’t direct or write, just comes up with good ideas. The first series was saved by Harrison Ford.
3. Firefly lasted one season, and had terrible ratings. The Big Bang Theory is in its sixth season, and has incredible ratings.
TA: Firefly and Serenity are the best. Period. I can’t watch TBBT as it is just one great big stereotype. Although, Mayim Bialik, who plays Sheldon’s girlfriend, is actually a real life neuroscientist with a proper PhD.
4. The Matrix is the worst-performing film of the trilogy.
TA: The sequels should have been great, but someone took the brain dead approach to screenplays.
5. The Resident Evil movies have made far, far more money than the Resident Evil video games.
TA: One reason – Milla Jovovich.
Image by http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Resident_Evil http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/ResidentEvil.php
6. The original Indiana Jones movies did worse in their combined opening weekends than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
TA: Biggest shark jump in history.
7. The movie Doom made more than the video gameThe Ultimate Doom in the U.S.
TA: I played a lot of Doom as a teen. I loved FPS. The movie, meh.
8. The 2001 Planet of the Apes starring Marky Mark made far more than all the original films combined.
TA: I didn’t like any of the films.
9. Transformers: Dark of the Moon is the sixth highest-grossing film of all time.
TA: Fuck Michael Bay and Fuck Shia LeBeouf.
10. 2006’s Superman Returns is the best-performing Superman film.
TA: All the Superman movies have been kinda meh.
11. Super Mario 3 is the third most popular video game of all time. Nintendogs is second.
TA: showing my age here, but the only Super Mario games I ever really played were Donkey Kong and Super Mario Land (Gameboy).
12. M. Night Shyamalan’s films have made more money than Joss Whedon’s films.
TA: Joss could direct a movie of Summer Glau and Nathan Fillion making toast and it would be fantastic.
4 thoughts on “12 Extremely Disappointing Facts For Geeks”
If you used net present value to estimate the true value of money in the past relative today the lists would possibly turn upside down ! The longer a movie is around the longer it has to make money !
Except for the fact that most movies make the majority of their money in the first week of release. This is the entire reason for blockbusters, to cash in quickly on opening weekend.
Shyamalan has been a director for a total of 9 movies, where as Whedon has only served as director for 4 movies. You really shouldn’t be surprised that Shyamalan’s films have made more money since he’s directed more than twice as many films as Whedon. Duh!
And eight of those films should never have seen the light of day, which is the point that was trying to be made.